Summer Grillin’ with DeAnn Stephens and Anna Hawkins (July 30, 2020)
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Summer Grillin’ with DeAnn Stephens and Anna Hawkins (July 30, 2020)
- 1 beef Flat Iron Steak (about 8 ounces each)
Pickled Red Onions:
- 1-1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 slices yellow onion, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup fresh cilantro springs (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 can (7 ounces) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon coarse grind black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- 1 large avocado, cut into 8 slices
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
PICKLED RED ONIONS:
- To prepare Pickled Red Onions, add peppercorns and thyme to 1-pint Mason jar; top with red onions. Combine tequila, honey and vinegar in small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in salt until dissolved. Carefully pour hot tequila mixture over onions, making sure to cover onions completely. Close jar; let stand for 1 hour or until mixture reaches room temperature. Shake jar to dissolve salt. Refrigerate at least 24 hours before using.
- To prepare Salsa, place yellow onion slices on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill onion, covered, 12 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 14 minutes), turning occasionally. Roughly chop grilled onion; set aside to cool.
Combine grilled onion, cilantro, chipotle peppers, garlic, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt in blender container. Cover; pulse on and off until pureed. With blender running, slowly add oil to blender through opening in cover, processing until smooth. Reserve 1 cup salsa; cover and refrigerate.Place beef steaks and remaining salsa in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
Cook's Tip: Use the internet to easily locate ethnic or hard-to-find foods when specialty markets are not nearby; many ingredients are available via mail order.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Pat steaks dry with paper towel; season with salt, if desired.
Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Keep warm.
- Place Cotija cheese and queso fresco in food processor container. Pulse on and off until cheese resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Carve steaks lengthwise into 1 inch strips, then across the grain into 1/2-inch pieces. Divide beef among tortillas; top with reserved 1 cup salsa, pickled onions, cheese, avocado, cilantro and lime wedges, as desired.
Copyright 2020 WKYT. All rights reserved.